Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Rock City day o' fun

Jason, Valerie, Jenny, Will and me at the big lookout over "7 states"

On April 25th we spent the Saturday with our friends Jason and Valerie. They are from north AL. Jason and Will met at Auburn while trudging thru engineering school together.

We had a great day! Jenny's behavior was top of the line by my standards (and those are rigid standards) and also we had good weather. And I ----the out of breath fattie with the creaking hips---managed all the exercise just fine.
Will and I had never been to Rock City but we did know about the "no strollers". So we borrowed a backpack from the Reynolds to tote around our midget mama. Thank you again Reynolds!!! I was not sure how would she like it?? Some kids do not like it and most kids want to get out and walk at some point. Heaven knows Jenny asks alot to get out of the stroller and walk. Do you know....... that girl LOVED the backpack!!?? Cried when we took her out! Did not ever ask to walk. So that turned out well. Cause it is not the best place to have your 21 month old running loose. Oh I forgot to mention the one issue and that was----Will could not fit thru two of the passes ("needles eye" and "fat man squeeze") wearing the pack. So he took it off, left Jenny sitting in it, and sort of shimmied her thru the pass sideways. it was a sight---and i am sure that he worked some odd arm muscles that usually don't get alot of use.

This pic reminds me of a song from Elmo's world:
"I'm a chickadee and I live in a tree,
with my mommy, my daddy, and baby makes three
and we're a family, a family!"

Jenny takes in the fabulous view

The Christophers---all 4 of us

Backpack, backpack

After we walked the trail, we bought fudge ---then headed to downtown Chatt to eat at Sticky Fingers.
Oh yeah another huge bonus for the day: our best ever score for a downtown Chatt parking spot---right in front of sticky fingers' door! let the records show......

So i had to pull a diaper change in the sticky fingers bathroom and you know I was saying my prayers once more. As an update, in case i have not given an update lately, Jenny's rage level during a public diaper change revolt has dwindled by about 50%. As soon as I lay her down to change, she begins to scream bloody murder like I am pulling her toenails out, just like she always has, but at least she lays there and lets me actually change the diaper instead of the old twist, shout and stand procedure. Well in addition this time she actually STOPPED crying about half way thru the change which is another big step in the right direction.
Anyway after our meal, we walked downtown for awhile---(Northshore, over the pedestrian bridge). Then we headed for Soddy--- and more importantly ---Nana's frozen custard. After indulging there, we went back to the house and Jason and Valerie headed home. Jenny took her nap then at 6pm and so did we. She was a pooped out monkey. As she was laying down she wimpered some about Jason leaving her ha ha. But she did SOOOOOOOO well all day not going bizzerko about nothing --not having nap drama during the usual nap hours or anything.

And i should add that Jason and Valerie were very good sports!---- riding in the backseat all smooshed up together with Jenny and making sure Beauty and the Beast was playing all day. Will said it should not bother them to be smooshed up together cause they are still honeymooners--ha
But they are probably still singing to themselves..... "Bonjour! Bonjour!"

I will say i was very tuckered out and majorly enjoyed that late nap. lots of exercise for me and the belly. but it is good for me.

1 comment:

Dianne Bryden said...

Makes me want to go to Rock City during the spring/summer. We only go now for the Garden of Lights at Christmas. What a great day!!