Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Comfort Zone

I just want to say that I'm glad I stepped out of my comfort zone tonight at church and talked to somebody I don't know.

Tonight I managed to get in class ON TIME but only because:
1---Angie saw me in the parking lot and took Jenny right to class for me
(she is one of Jenny's teachers and so they have a bond. I was so glad that Jenny didn't care--no tears! So far she doesn't have much seperation anxiety)
2---There was a wreck in front of the building holding up traffic, so class started late cause everybody was late

ANYWAY so I am in class before it actually starts. Like I've done many times before, I plop down and read my bulletin and don't really try to be friendly to people I don't know sitting around me. Sure if there's somebody I know sitting close we'll chat, but anyway......
I feel that all of us at church are just resigned to this behavior, because our church is so big that we start to feel that no WAY could we ever know everybody there! so maybe we give up on that goal.....
So during class I'm thinking "I just sat down right next to this lady and didn't introduce myself. That was rude." Maybe I said "Is anybody sitting here?" but that doesn't count.
So I decided to talk to her after class.
I got the feeling that she was glad to have someone introduce themselves. She talked a little bit more than I expected her to, and that was a sign to me that she was glad to meet someone.
You know most of the time if you introduce yourself, its typical for the person to reciprocate and thats about all that's said. But no, I got some bonus chatting this time. This person is visiting around, not a regular attender yet. From our conversation I got the vibe that she wants to make some connections with folks. But all of this I learned ONLY because I decided to talk to her. Honestly, while sitting there I had (subconsciously) summed her up as an old school member..... and I was supposed to be the person that is new and doesn't know anybody!
What's funny is that she is going thru the same situation that I went thru recently. Well its not "funny"----- its God working, if you get me. He puts her here and me "there" and says, start talking Kristen!
So I'm going to try to start opening my mouth more often and not just giving a sweet smile, because without conversation we can't have relationships.
I was wishing for people to reach out to me about 1 year ago, and I learned that I had to do some reaching out myself. You can't always be on the receiving end.
You never know how God could use you in a person's life unless you talk to them!

1 comment:

Phi Phi said...

It's a "God Thing"! We try to do things on man's time not God's.

I was going to ask if you took pictures of the pumpkin. Nina would be so proud. Good Job Grasshopper!

Love Phi Phi