Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Potty break thru.... and also a potential potty set back

Well well. Little Miss Jenny Raye has gotten interested in her potty in the past week.
Here is some background info first though....

I have been "playing potty" for months now...like 6 months or so. I would just here and there (not exactly every day) say "lets sit on the potty". We'd sit and read and it was always my idea. If she didn't want to, (she'd just keep getting up off of it) then I'd say okay no biggie---did not want her to be upset about the potty. Usually we'd sit before bathtime. I just tried to keep her on it as long as I could with her still content. That was about 3 minutes or so. All this time still she has done not one drop of pee or poo in the potty...but I was just wanting her to see that potty is a normal part of life, and potty isn't scary...it doesn't eat you alive or anything.

Well I had got into a lull... not really caring to play potty for awhile.
Suddenly --I think it was New Years Eve--Jenny sees me peeing (like always) and she comes toddling into the bathroom saying "Pee Pee!" and sits on her potty. You bet that I stripped down that hiney and I'm laying it on thick: "my big girl wants to potty like mama!" etc.
Since then she will do that at least once a day---each time her own idea! and each time she will now sit for 5-10 minutes---yippee!!
Then one day, maybe Jan. 4th, I was in the kitchen and she was in the den and I hear her saying Pee Pee! and walking to the bathroom to sit on her potty. I was loving that. She did not see me peeing and think about it that time. She had thought of it all on her own.
But still nothing had actually been deposited into our deluxe hot pink Bjorn potty.

And then tonight there was the official first deposit.
I had been thinking that poo was inevitable before she could go to sleep tonight. (no poo all day)
I was thinking that she'd probably do her thing in a fresh diaper while she was alone in her crib....so I made a mental note to hold on the fancy "overnite" diaper til after she had made me a brownie.
So she is in the tub (a tub that she has graced with a few floaters on occasion) and I see the signs. I'd say that when she gets into frog stance, then we have lift off. So I asked if she had to poo. She nodded and pointed to her potty! I plopped that soaking wet girl right onto that potty. She was staring down into it as usual and chilling out. I read about 3 books to her. She did her deed and when she looked down and saw it, suddenly she was very.....unhappy! (perhaps the first time she's ever seen her poo)
Me and Will tried to say whoopee! good for you! but she was so upset about that poo. I told her that was a good thing and we flushed it. She needed blankie for a bit and she was still crying a little when I said she had to get back into the tub soon. She calmly said no.
No she did not want to play with Shark.
No she did not want to play with da bubbles.
But yes thank goodness she was won over with a tub crayon!
She turned her frustration into art on the shower wall. She totally recovered. We gave her lots more praise and I told her again how she could now have her own potty chart and also her very first sticker to put on it. That was a hit. After she had her PJ's on, we put up the sticker.

We are thinking... and really hoping its NOT the case.... that Jenny is now going to hate sitting on potty!!! I think I will definitely let the next "sit-in" be her idea, and just provide plenty of gentle reminders.
Wish us luck!

1 comment:

Dianne Bryden said...

WOW!! Training Fisher has not even crossed my mind! I think we've still got a ways to go.