Saturday, November 29, 2008

Christmas Celebration Calendar

When I was little I remember my fun mom making a big calendar for Christmas. She would write one fun thing to do each day until Christmas. I think it was stuck to the fridge, and I'd eagerly look on it all month to find what kinds of fun things we would get to do soon.
In the spirit of tradition, I have created my own Christmas Celebration Calendar.
I encourage you all to participate with me, or make your own fun list. Even though some of the items are kid oriented, you can certainly enjoy them even if you are grown with no rugrats at your heels. After all, we were all kids at one time--- and these activities are sure to spark some extra Christmas cheer in your heart.
Even if you can't find the time to do these things, maybe just reading about it will make you feel less Scroogy:

  • Dec. 1---Make Christmas cookies--get out those cookie cutters!
  • Dec. 2---Sip hot cocoa, eat leftover cookies---don't forget marshmallows for your mug!
  • Dec. 3---Make paper snowflakes, then tape them to your windows
  • Dec. 4---Write a letter to Santa Claus
  • Dec. 5---Make fire. Relax by your fireplace regardless of real or gas logs. If you lack a fireplace, then light up yummy Christmas candles. Or light up the grill on the back porch to warm your hands by, like I catch my husband doing occasionally.
  • Dec. 6---Time to visit a tree farm! Or... if you prefer a fake tree, then visit some other local holiday festivity (such as Rock City's enchanted garden of lights) (or your town's Christmas parade)
  • Dec. 7---Decorate your tree
  • Dec. 8---Get a wreath for your front door
  • Dec. 9---Go see Santa at the mall. While you are in the eternal line of unhappy children, repeat to yourself: "all is calm, all is bright". If you don't have children, visit the mall anyway. When you stroll by Santa Central, send up a prayer of thanks that you aren't standing in that line.
  • Dec. 10--Hang stockings by your chimney with care--or hang them on the curtain rod like me
  • Dec. 11--Pick out a new ornament for your tree, or make a homemade one.
  • Dec. 12--Pile into the car and drive around looking at Christmas lights
  • Dec. 13--Make a gingerbread house--hey I saw a 10 dollar kit at Walmart
  • Dec. 14--Pick out new Christmas PJ's for the whole family
  • Dec. 15--Make a homemade Christmas card for someone special
  • Dec. 16--Make a popcorn string for your tree
  • Dec. 17--Sing Christmas songs in the car
  • Dec. 18--Hang mistletoe
  • Dec. 19--Watch your favorite Christmas movie
  • Dec. 20--Take a walk downtown to soak in the decorations and Christmas spirit. "City sidewalks, busy sidewalks, dressed in holiday style......."---What's that? You don't have a downtown? Baloney, you're not looking hard enough.
  • Dec. 21--Make yummy treats to take to friends
  • Dec. 22--Wrap presents. Or pay your sibling to wrap them all for you.
  • Dec. 23--Make gingerbread men. Be sure to read or tell your kids the story. Don't remember it? Ahhh, google.
  • Dec. 24--Read The Night Before Christmas. Again with the google.
  • Dec. 25--Take a family picture-- maybe in your new PJ's?

3 comments:

Dianne Bryden said...

Very cool idea! Thanks for sharing. I think I'll take you up on that. Sounds like fun. I love holiday/family traditions!!

Jennifer said...

I LOVE this idea! It makes me want to go make a list right now...too bad the kids are destroying the house!!:)

Surrendered said...

Wow...I need to steal some ideas from you!....I just love your blogs they are so funny and interesting no matter what! love ya!