Wednesday, November 19, 2008

What we've been up to--part 2

Monday Nov. 10:
Jenny woke up early-- about 7:30-- but that was good, cause I had to make sure that she had a good nap under her belt before her doc appt.
So with a well rested, full-bellied baby I headed off to East Ridge in the afternoon for the 15 month "well-baby check up". But do you think that things went smoothly? uh.....no.
To start with, in the waiting room, Jenny did not approve when I scooped her up from her new found toy stash and took her with me to the nurse's desk to pay. I could not really leave her there unattended even though she's about 15 feet away. Didn't want her busting her head open cause she fell out of the chair you know, or licking all the blocks etc.
So there was some quality screaming to be enjoyed by all while I stood there. After I finished paying, I took her back to the toys. Of course she stopped her nutso fit. I said "we don't always get to do what we want". A lady giggled. I wondered if she would still giggle if I tackled her.
Not sure what she was amused by, but if I want to talk to my child with "adult talk" in the hopes that she understands me, then by George I'll do it.
Who is to say really when and what kids can't comprehend??
Its like when people would disapprove of spanking a baby that is "too young". I'd like to say to those people "oh well you tell me what day exactly to start spanking my baby then---here is a calendar"...........
a momma knows her baby.
momma knows when her baby is comprehending and also momma knows when her baby is needing a whoopin.
Well, right away our exam nurse was "the shot nurse"--- she tried to talk to us and examine Jenny for about 20 minutes while Jenny whined "I know who you are and I know what you do!!!!!"
Jenny didn't want to lay down to be measured etc. I know that laying there must feel vulnerable.
She still weighs about 20 pounds-- no gaining. Will and I conclude that that is because she NEVER sits still! If she sits still, then she is probably sick.
Of course, after a trip to the scale (where there was an extra special fit) I had to re-diaper which was a blast. Then we saw the doc and Jenny refused to "perform" --you know-- no tricks for Dr. Jeanie. I said "the child can talk" but her lips were locked. She cried about any and everything that was going on, except for when they were NOT in the room. When we were alone, she wanted to get into the toys of course, or sing about the animals on the wall....... When the door opened she'd fly to my arms in a fit. So finally here comes shot nurse again. 3 vaccines yay! You better believe that Jenny went ballistic, but this time her fit was somewhat justified. Then the nurse wants to tell me important things after the shots! As if I can hear her. After she left I calmed Jenny and gave her goldfish and got her clothes on her eventually.
We were going to stop for ice cream (yes I was going to reward all that terrible behavior) but she was asleep before we got to any.
As far as doc visits go, I think I'm pretty cold hearted. Well for that matter, I'm like that all the time as a mom....... but at the doc I'm definitely not shedding tears over Jenny's shots etc. I'm not sure if its because I spent a lot of time at the doctor's as a child?? Maybe I think she should suck it up?? I hear other moms say they want to cry about the shots---even my own husband cannot bear it when Jenny gets stuck. I'm not saying its a delight, but my whole attitude during Jenny's exam is "lets get er done, and Jenny --take it like a real woman cause you have no choice-- its for your own good." I felt that some of her behavior at this visit warranted a whoopin. I probably threatened "you better straighten up" and the nurse acted like "oh poor baby is just scared of this whole office-- give her a break." Now see.... that is just how to treat your child if you want to be tying him or her up in a straightjacket to get his teeth cleaned when he is 10 years old.
Obviously I don't expect Jenny to suck it up just yet, but in the future I have high hopes for doctor's office behavior--that's all I'm saying.
After the doc, we got home and I figured I'd go get some groceries for dinner when she woke up. But then she kept on sleeping and I decided that was best.
So Will's dinner that night was squash casserole, cucumber slices, and one arby's beef and cheddar for us to split ha ha!
Do you know that was pretty tasty?? who knew.

Thursday:
Will was off work and able to help with Jenny while I prepared food for our small group meeting at the Carson's. I cooked bacon, which is now a rarity in our home since Will's hideous bacon grease burn in Sept. '07.
At our meeting, I did the babysitting so I missed the bible study. But that's okay cause Will was able to fill me in on the ride home.

Friday:
Very first thing --about 12:30am--Jenny woke up very very unhappy. I wondered for a bit if she was sleep-crying?? Its happened before. But quickly I recognized that this was the "I'm gonna puke" cry. So I was able to at least hang out in the bathroom til the big event.
As usual it was a big clean up which only makes Jenny more unhappy. Finally I had a semi-cleaned up baby and a clean "blankie" for her to drown her sorrows in (thank goodness I have 2 blankies). Then the trick is to get clothes back on her without making her so upset that she pukes again. I decided that just a t shirt would have to do. She was pretty whooped at that point so she rested well after that.

I'd like to add that I was still up for this puke-fest (had not gone to bed yet) so it could have been worse. Dealing with puke/cleaning it up is alot worse when you're half asleep.

Anyway, in the light of day things were looking better. Ordinarily I would have gotten us up a tad early and we'd be off to Mom's bible class at the church building at 9:30 (babysitting provided). But I couldn't take the puker into the nursery you know.......... Super husband strikes again! Lucky me-- he was off work, so he babysat. (Lucky him--she napped the entire time that I was gone).
I felt a little mother's guilt for leaving her post-puke, but Mom's bible class is such therapy.

Let me say here how much fun Mom's bible class is! I love it! It is so wonderful to get to know other ladies at church better! It is a good opportunity to get to know ladies of all different ages. And the way it's set up, you also get a chance to get to know other women whose kids are your kid's age. So its the best of both worlds.
As if 2 hours of relaxed study and chatting wasn't delicious enough, this past bible class ended with a full lunch!! Hot chicken salad, baked apples, roasted asparagus, pie and cake!!!!!! Hello??? How awesome is that? And the kicker was that your kids were still in the playrooms while you got to eat. (For a portion of time, and then they were inevitably delivered to you. ha ha) So I enjoyed a nice dinner yet again without my wild one demanding constant attention. I am so grateful to Will for staying with our girl that day while I got "me time."

Later on Friday we ventured out to Greenway Farms for the sake of the dog. Jenny seemed perky enough and we enjoyed a long walk on a trail thru the woods. That is the only place close enough to our house that we've found to walk Hank. Other parks do not allow him :(
If they knew him they'd change their mind......

No comments: