Sunday, November 30, 2008

Ode to Tin Foil

Just a short tribute to our great shiny friend. What was life like before the aluminum knight in shining armor?
Who out there is not using tin foil to cover your cookie sheets? You poor souls. Such a waste of your time always scrubbing those cookie sheets etc. when you could have simply balled up the messy foil and its all over with.
Sometimes there is the occasional cooking episode where even the best foil could not hold up to the mess. It is at these times, when I realize that the cookie sheet is indeed finally dirty, that my heart sinks.
I LOATHE cleaning up cookie sheets. Anything that cannot go in the dishwasher is on my list. Heaven help those special dishes (like cookie sheets) if they are dirtied-- cause I'm going to avoid them like the plague forever. What do you expect me to do?? Run a sink full of water and ......wash them by hand??? That's an outrage. I collect over time and make a nice artsy stack of dirty cookie sheets next to the sink. People come to the house, but I sense that they don't get my art. They don't realize the statement that I am trying to make. Then finally one day I'm desperate for a clean cookie sheet. I take out an SOS pad and spend like 30 solid minutes scrubbing at the brown mystery junk that accumulates on them. After such an event my fingers have paid the price. They are blue and prickly. But SOS is the only thing that can conquer a cookie sheet. So I take one for the team with my carny looking hands.
I don't even want to think about life before an SOS.

2 comments:

Phi Phi said...

Yeah Boy! And what about that monster roll of heavy duty I got from my parents estate. That roll has wrapped many a fried turkey.
But it should not be wasted on the lining of a cookie sheet unless it is to cook bacon.

Phi Phi said...

I have to add one more thing. Back in the day, my Mom was the original re-cycler. These amatures today don't have a clue.
We did not not carried our left over tin foil to be re-cycled. Mom
washed it off and neatly folded it for a second use. Maybe 3rd or 4th also. P.S. Cookie Sheet lined with tin foil also work great for
bacon clean up. Next discussion will be the re-cycle of plastic bags.