Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Diaper Disaster

We are in this inconvenient phase where Jenny has total diva psycho meltdowns if you try to change her diaper in public. Well, anywhere except our house or our car. Not to say that she's guaranteed to be an angel in those circumstances either.
In any other place she will lose it completely. This is a sudden development.

The first time I noticed it was about 3 weeks ago at Zaxby's. The baby I took into the bathroom was flirty, giggling. The baby that came out acted like I had beat her with a hickory stick. Granted she did get a whoopin for her hissy fit, but anyway.

The second time I noticed her vicious protest was on a Wednesday night before bible class. I took her in the cry room and used that changer. More of the same... instant switch from nice to nutso.
Both of these times there was no one around, so that isn't the issue......

The last and worst time was on Oct. 18th at Cracker Barrel. I am scarred from this one, I'm telling you.
Of course we had just had one of those "life is good" moments --a fun day with our happy baby at the craft festival at Ketner's Mill. We had eaten funnel cake in the sunshine and browsed the arts.
And then our luck continued during dinner. We gobbled up our okra and dumplings and tickled and kissed our good baby.
But alas, I'm coming to realize I may never get thru one solid day without some Jenny meltdown.
If I had to describe my mothering technique it would be "old bitty". Most of the time, I put up a persistent fierce fight and rarely give in (Jenny takes after her momma ha ha!). But after this incident --I surrender, at least for the time being, to changing her only in the Rav 4:

After our meal I knew the diaper change was overdue. I had intended to do it before the meal, but then I got sidetracked-- first in the fantastic gift shop and then by the visions of hashbrown casserole dancing in my head. So off to the bathroom we headed for our adventure. Once again chipper and all grins.
Then I laid her down and suddenly ....where is my baby? Jenny is gone and instead I'm stuck with the Hulk. I swear I heard the onesie ripping down the middle. The child would not lay down! I flipped her back down about 80 times. So I managed to get the diaper off of her while she was standing and screaming that she would NOT be defeated, but then another diaper had to go back on. I was starting to think I'd just have to carry her out with a bare butt. It was about a 5 minute fit, during which all of the women in Chattanooga, young and old, came in and out of the bathroom. Some of which couldn't help but comment on how cute she is?? At first I hollered back to them "oh yeah, she's just adorable, our little princess" "oh thanks so much, wouldn't trade her for the world". In between I was whoopin those thighs left and right and giving my fiercest looks to that adorable princess. I was hoping that the 50 billion nice ladies would realize that this is a big showdown and the best thing that they could do is ignore us. But no. I was thinking, "I can't be polite right now, can't interact with other adults........all I can manage to do right now is try to diaper this raving heathern! So just hush about her being an angel!" So finally I just stopped acknowledging their sweet comments. Did I mention that there was a lady and her baby girl (who is cool as a cucumber) standing behind me waiting this whole thing out to the bitter end? Waiting to use the table. THIS lady was not just commenting but asking questions. "how old is she?" "Where'd you get her jacket?" "Where'd you get her shoes?" "is she walking?"
I had to stop whoopin her (jenny, not the lady) to get any closer to my goal of: DIAPER ON. Then I'm wondering: are some of the ladies thinking I'm abusive, are some of them thinking I need to give out more whoopins? Who has time to care about that when your duking it out with a bare bootied spazz? Somehow I managed to get the diaper on while she was standing and going nuts. O happy day. I darted out of there and found Will. What a lucky duck he is! This whole time Will was missing out on the show, paying the tab. He was waiting near the exit, oblivious to the whole thing. His only clue is the look on my face and the unsnapped flap of the onesie hanging down between bare legs with rosey handprints all over them. It is good he missed out, because he had to love her enough for both of us at that point. And if he had been in the ring with her also, then...well....I guess she'd have had to hitch a ride to Grandma's from the parking lot.
In the back of the Rav 4, I intended to adjust my handiwork and put her pants on. At least there wouldn't be a crowd (for awhile anyway) out there. Of course she didn't mutter a peep and giggled at Daddy during that! Whatever. And that is when I realized I could get away with changing her in the car. So I got my heartrate down eventually, and we concluded that she is interested in seeing everything in the bathrooms when we enter. So then she is TICKED when I make her lay on her back right away. Not sure why she would become this way so suddenly (she is a woman) but I am not going to be taking my chances anytime soon. Even in this bitter cold that is coming, I'll be freezing her hiney out at the Rav4-- if that's what she wants, then that's what she gets.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

A tip from a psychopath:
If you can get her terrified enough of loud vacuum flush public toilets, she will happily oblige you by allowing a quick diaper change. Emilee would go into shock anytime we carried her near a public restroom, and was (against her will) rendered completely submissive.
WARNING*WARNING*WARNING*WARNING
Be Advised, while making your life easier now, this tactic will make potty-training very challenging.

Christy C Beach said...

at least she doesn't cry the whole time saying "you going to let me fall?" I have never ever let her fall....but counter top or daiper changing station and she will cry the whole time. I just ignore her and tell her to hush. I am much more immune to crying than i used to be. However, she does not try to fight me. Just acts scared.

Dianne Bryden said...

You crack me up. This was the funniest story and gave me a good chuckle. Your sense of humor is awesome. You know, one day you'll look back on this and laugh. It is hard to believe, though, that little light-as-a-feather Jenny could put up such a fuss. She's been a complete angel every time I've been around her! :-)

janie easterwood said...

Hey, Kristen,
you crack me up.........that was so funny. However, I well remember those days that Leah had a "come apart" and we had a showdown! It got worse before it got better. Just ask Will about how easy it was to make her scream.........he was an expert on sending her over the edge. Jenny is precious & so beautiful. I'm guessing Phillis is having great fun with her this week.....I can't wait to get one.....

Mrs. Tongate said...

I love your writing! I think you need to write a book one day! I especially love this one because Mom said that I was the same exact way!